Equipment: What We Supply and What You Should Bring
Majestic Heli Ski will provide you with the equipment you’ll need to safely enjoy untracked powder in the Alaska backcountry at no additional cost to you. We’ll outfit and train you with the latest equipment for backcountry skiing. This includes a harness, carabiner, avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe and an avalanche airbag backpack.
We include K2 or Meier powder skis in all of our packages. If you want to bring your skis, and they are 100 mm or greater under foot (rocker is also a plus), we encourage you to bring them. Telemark skiers and snowboarders must bring their own skis or board. Boots are the one item that we can’t outfit for you. We suggest carrying your ski or snowboard boots onto the plane.
Suggested packing list:
- Waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex or similar material)
- Ski boots (Carry them on!)
- Hat and/or helmet
- Puffy (insulated) jacket. Lightweight and packable
- Thermals/base layers
- Fleece mid-layer
- Goggles, sunglasses
- Buff/neck gaiter/balaclava
- Water bottle, sunblock, lip balm
- Outdoor footwear
- Casual lodge attire
- Note that the bindings on our powder skis are not alpine touring boot/rocker sole compatible
- Dynafit/tech/pin bindings may not work well for heli skiing because they often ice-up. We recommend alpine bindings/alpine boots
You are required to wear our avalanche transceiver, harness and carabiner, as well as our avalanche airbag backpack, which will contain a shovel and probe. Backcountry Access is our partner for our avalanche rescue gear. There is room for a few basic items such as at water bottle and extra layer, but don’t carry more than you need. You can ski better and longer with a lighter pack.
Majestic Heli Ski operates a retail store if you would like to shop. We do not have ski or snowboard boots for rent or sale. Carry yours on the plane with you.
And don’t forget your camera!